Mocha Chocolate Mousse
Just about everyone loves delicious, silky chocolate mousse. The only problem is that it’s loaded with fat and calories. Today I’m going to show you how I make a really tasty lower fat Mocha Chocolate Mousse with all the taste of regular mousse.
The First Ingredients
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 2T cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 6 T water
1. Put ingredients in double boiler and slowly melt. Pour into large bowl and set aside for a moment. The next step is to make a simple syrup. Bring 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil and cook for about 4 minutes. Set it aside to cool while making the meringue.
2. For the meringue whip 3 large egg whites and 1 tsp cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high and slowly add simple syrup. Whip until stiff peaks form and remove from mixer.
3. To add the egg white to the chocolate it is important first to temper the warm chocolate mixture. To do that, we simply take 1/3 of the egg white mix and fold it gently into the warm chocolate.
4. Whisk the rest of the egg white mix into the chocolate and spoon into serving dishes, cover with plastic film and refrigerate overnight.
5. After chilling you will have a luscious mousse.
Note: This recipe also makes a great pie filling when used with a chocolate pie crust.